The Friends of the Alger are committed to activation of our 1930s, art deco movie house with repairs, membership and fundraising events to engage our community in the space. As we build momentum, we will launch a capital campaign for full renovation of the theater building and its four adjoining storefronts. Our goal is to transform the Alger into a regional destination for arts and culture. Through these efforts we will serve as an anchor for stabilization of the surrounding neighborhoods & commercial corridor to create a dense, walkable and self-sustaining neighborhood.
We had success this year with repairs to the theater. Check out the list:
- Exterior stucco repair, $1,000
- Environmental analysis, asbestos survey and abatement, $23,850
- Installation of five fire-rated exit doors (early December), $10,700
- Roof patching, $2,650
- Electrical wiring to new exit signs and marquee repair, $1850
- Two sample theater seats, fully revamped courtesy of Lear Corporation
- Theater cleanup with student volunteers resulting in a fully-loaded 30 cu ft dumpster
- Allocation of $10,000 for a roof resurfacing which will add approximately five years to the life of the current roof, to be completed as soon as the weather breaks in 2015.
Thanks to all our Friends for sharing your Halloween evening with us! Big thanks to Nate Bonkowski and Cook’s Crossing for super food. Gallons of love to Dan Scarsella and Motor City Brewing Works for tasty Oktoberfest brew and Pumpkin Ale. It was great to see some new faces at the theater and raise more $$ to get the theater opened.
Thank you to our sponsors!
Friends of the Alger
PO Box 241183
16451 East Warren Avenue,
Detroit, Michigan, 48224