ACTIVATION | RENOVATION | DESTINATION
The Friends of the Alger are committed to activation of our 1930s, art deco movie house with repairs, membership and fundraising events to engage our community in the space. As we build momentum, we will launch a capital campaign for full renovation of the theater building and its four adjoining storefronts. Our goal is to transform the Alger into a regional destination for arts and culture.
OUR MISSION: To activate and restore the Alger Theater and establish a welcoming destination for arts, entertainment, and education in the community
OUR VISION: To become the neighborhood catalyst driving new commercial, social, and cultural development to advance a vibrant community
OUR VALUES: Inclusion | Sustainability | Creativity | Community | Preservation
May is Membership Month
May is the month to become a “Friend” of the Alger or to renew your annual membership. This year, we are making good on our promises to add value to membership. For the months of June, July, August and September we will hold members-only “brew and view” movie nights inside the theater. Members may attend free of charge and bring one guest. Drinks and popcorn available for sale. Sponsored by Motor City Brewing.
WHAT: Free movies at the theater
WHEN: Second Sunday of the month – June 14, July 12, August 9 and September 13 – at 5:30pm
WHERE: Alger Theater, 16154 East Warren Avenue, Detroit at the corner of East Warren and East Outer Drive
Parking available at the former Charter One Bank, Jefferson Branch Detroit Public Library and at the corner auto repair shops.
- Storefront cleanup day – another 30′ dumpster of debris
- Installation of alarm system
- Pending repairs: ticket booth plexiglass, roof drain replacement
We had success last year with repairs to the theater. Check out the list:
- Exterior stucco repair, $1,000
- Environmental analysis, asbestos survey and abatement, $23,850
- Installation of five fire-rated exit doors (early December), $10,700
- Roof patching, $2,650
- Electrical wiring to new exit signs and marquee repair, $1850
- Two sample theater seats, fully revamped courtesy of Lear Corporation
- Theater cleanup with student volunteers resulting in a fully-loaded 30 cu ft dumpster
- Allocation of $10,000 for a roof resurfacing which will add approximately five years to the life of the current roof, to be completed as soon as the weather breaks in 2015.
Thank you to our sponsors!
Friends of the Alger
PO Box 241183
16451 East Warren Avenue,
Detroit, Michigan, 48224